Hydroquinone and sunscreen are the two options that have the most research and proof of efficacy, and certainly nothing is as important as sunscreen for prevention of future discoloration.
An important factor to consider is the depth of the discolored pigment within the skin. If the discoloration is superficial then topical agents along with sunscreen can make a significant impact. If the discolorations are large, deeper, and more evident, then more penetrating medical procedures such as IPL treatments and chemical peels should be a consideration.
Hydroquinone is a strong inhibitor of melanin production that has long been established as the most effective ingredient for reducing and potentially eliminating discoloration. It inhibits or prevents skin from making the substance responsible for skin color.
Perhaps no other aspect of skin care prevent, reduce, and potentially eliminate sun-induced and hormonal skin discolorations than the diligent use of sunscreen. Using any other product or receiving medical treatments (IPL or Chemical Peels) without the use of sunscreen is a waste of time and money. Sun exposure is one of the primary, fundamental causes of hyper-melanin production and exacerbates excess melanin production from hormonal triggers such as pregnancy. Before you consider any other treatment for skin discolorations, sunscreen is unconditionally the first and most practical step.
We carry two products that contain a 4% concentration of Hydroquinone, listed below:
ZO MEDICAL MELAMIN Skin Bleaching & Correcting Creme, Hydroquinone USP, 4%Melamin helps even skin tone by inhibiting melanin production. This product contains 4% hyroquinone, which is used for the treatment of pigmentation problems.
Indication: Melasma, Hyperpigmentation
- Gradual bleaching of hyperpigmented skin conditions such as chloasma, melasma, freckles, senile lentigines and other unwanted hyperpigmentation.
ZO MEDICAL MELAMIX Skin Lightener & Bleaching Creme, Hydroquinone USP, 4%Melamix is formulated specifically to be used with tretinoin. It contains 4% hydroquinone, which is used for the treatment of pigmentation problems. It helps to even skin tone by inhibiting melanin production. It forces even distribution of melanin to keratinocytes. It is ideal for all skin types, including darker skin tones.
Indication: Melasma, hyperpigmentation
- Optimizes delivery of active ingredients of the system
- Provides gradual bleaching of hyperpigmented skin conditions such as chloasma, melasma, freckles, senile lentigines and other unwanted hyperpigmentation
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use hydroquinone cream.
Important safety information:
- Protect your skin from the sun during and after the use of hydroquinone cream. Limit sun exposure, use a sunscreen, and wear protective clothing to cover the treated areas.
- Hydroquinone cream is for external use only. Avoid getting hydroquinone cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on your lips. If you get hydroquinone cream in your eyes, wash them out with water and contact your doctor. If you get hydroquinone cream on your lips or in your nose or mouth, rinse with water.
- Do not use hydroquinone cream on irritated or injured skin.
- Do not use hydroquinone cream with products that contain hydrogen peroxide or benzoyl peroxide. This may cause a dark staining of your skin. The staining can be removed by stopping use of the peroxide and washing your skin with soap and water.
- Do not use hydroquinone cream with other medicines containing resorcinol, phenol, or salicylic acid unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Some of these products contain sulfites, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist to determine if the product you are taking contains sulfites.
- Hydroquinone cream is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using hydroquinone cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if hydroquinone cream is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using hydroquinone cream, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of hydroquinone cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness or cracking of the skin if applied around eyes or nose; minor redness or mild burning sensation at application site.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; blue-black darkening of the skin; excessive redness, stinging, or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency.
Non-Hydroquinone Brightening Solutions
MSRP $102.00 MSRP $118.00
BRIGHTENEX Skin Brightener & Correcting Creme, Non-Hydroquinone
Available in 1% Retinol (aggressive) and 0.5% Retinol (moderate)
Indication: Hyperpigmentation, sun damage, Non-HQ blending
This correcting creme can be used as a first course in treating hyperpigmentation and as a maintenance product after completing a course of Rx treatment. It is formulated to even skin color and tone.
- Non-Hydroquinone, bioengineered complex absorbs deep into the epidermis to target the stages of skin discoloration
- Multi-action formulation releases micro-encapsulated Retinol, plant antioxidants and enzymes to rapidly brighten and even skin tone quality
- Unique penetrating formula clarifies and brightens skin, minimizes the appearance of skin redness and helps prevent future damage
BRIGHTAMAX Skin Brightening Creme for Face & Body, Non-Hydroquinone
A full face and body treatment formulated to help reduce skin discoloration and even skin tone.
Indication: Hyperpigmentation and sun damage on body, Non-HQ blending
- Micro-encapsulated Retinol and Vitamin C work to brighten existing pigmentation
- Multi-antioxidant complex defends skin against environmental stressors to prevent future signs of skin damage and aging
- Soothes and mediates the appearance of redness caused by post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Hydrators and barrier replenishers keep skin smooth, soft and supple
BRIGHTALIVE Non-Retinol Skin Brightnener
Brightalive Non-Retinol Skin Brightener uses a multi-vectored skin pigment management approach using clinically proven alpha-arbutin and bio-engineered plant phytotechnology to reduce the appearance of brown spots, even skin tone and inhibit melanin production.
Indication: Hyperpigmentation, sun damage, Non-Hydroquinone mild bleaching
- Great for all skin types when strong bleaching is not indicated
- Reduces the appearance of brown spots, evens skin tone and prevents new pigmentation
- Exclusive 12-hour time-release antioxidant complex (Vitamins A, C and E) provides continuous protection against oxidative stress
- Restores hydration to replenish skin’s vital moisture balance
- Enhances DNA repair
- Can be used alone or on top of C-Bright 10% Vitamin C Serum
- Mild enough for everyday use
C-BRIGHT 10% Vitamin C Serum
C-Bright provides a potent dose of pure Vitamin C that is stabilized to brighten and texturize skin.
Indication: Hyperpigmentation, sun damage, brightening
- Pure Vitamin C works by rapidly exfoliating skin’s surface pigmentation for a more even tone and brighter complexion
- Advanced Vitamin C Ester goes one step further below the skin surface to prevent new melanin pigment from forming
- Power antioxidants help defend against environmental triggers that can initiate new pigment formation
- Naturally occurring lipids hydrate and support skin barrier restoration
- Minimizes the appearance of line and wrinkles
Brightening treatment for younger-looking hands
Indication: For all skin types including mature and dehydrated. Ideal for those interested in improving the appearance of their hands.
- Reduces the appearance of age spots and uneven pigmentation on hands.
- Helps plump and volumize thinning skin to reduce the appearance of veins.
- Supports skin’s natural barrier against environmental stressors and enhances skin’s moisture level so hands look smoother.
MSRP $79.00 (15%)/MSRP $109.00 (30%)
VITAMIN C LOTION 15% & 30%
Daily antioxidant protection with THD Ascorbate for brighter skin.
Indication: For all skin types, even sensitive skin. Vitamin C should be part of every person’s daily skincare regimen.
- Powerful formula brightens and evens skin tone.
- Reduces the appearance of age spots, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Contains potent antioxidant ingredients to protect cells from free radical damage.
- Incorporates a high concentration of a very stable, bio-available Vitamin C derivative, which is time-released for maximum efficacy. The Vitamin C derivative, THD Ascorbate, is converted into Ascorbic Acid in the skin, which minimizes the irritation sometimes associated with Vitamin C.